Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Went Grocery Shopping

Grocery shopping used to scare me, I mean what if I cant buy enough and then the dreaded bare cupboard syndrome at the end of the week. 8 weeks ago my budget was $130 a week for 2 of us, let me explain. DH is a bigger guy and enjoys his food, five now four dogs, as well as I am 7 months pregnant and craving a lot of different things as well as have always shopped for the best things, fresh meat, organic veggies etc. Now also I will let you know that this is not just the food budget but if its used in the house its on this budget, food, cleaning, health, medicine, vitamins(the only ones that stay down are almost $50 a month, beauty and already prepping for baby as in I have diapers, baby wipes and special water for him to drink.

So with me not working anymore I set a budget at $50 a week, gotta still cover the baby things as well as cravings and plenty of food for hubby. So went in search of a solution after all we were struggling at $130 a week to keep food in the house and as I was about to give up hope of finding a way to do this, thinking great macaroni and cheese with hot dogs 5 times a week I found a website. If you contact me I will share this wonderful place which I am addicted to, the only thing I ask is that you give me the referral credit as the one who sent you there.

For the first time in years I have my fridge freezer, chest freezer, pantry and all my cupboards full and even though my weekly average isnt at the $50 mark yet, I made it this week with just over $5 to spare.

Whats the secret, coupons. Yes those pesky things that people use and hold up the line and spend forever cutting out. Only thing is it takes me less than an hour a week to set up to go shopping and I save $100's. Basically the website gives you a list and you find the coupon based on the date and insert, clip and take. It does cost though, the first 4 weeks are free right now and then I pay $25 every TWO months(I get the lists for 4 stores).

Today we went to 4 stores, all within 1/2 mile and got free air freshener, tissues, instant potatoes, deodorant, bacon and toothbrushes. Bags of frozen veggies for 25c a bag, orange soda for 17c a 2 liter(the pregnant craving, caffeine and sugar free), Cheeze-its for 23c a box, and boxes of 10 granola bars at 40c a box. We also got milk, cheese, cottage cheese, chicken, rice, hot chocolate and bell peppers for a grand total of $44.44 saving $252.43. Thats an 85% savings!!!!!! Plus got $5 in coupons of my next shop.

Now in the last 8 weeks we have got free soup, chicken, beef, hamburger, spaghetti sauce, pasta, cake mix, bread, salad, frosting, chex mix, fresh veg, fresh pineapple, granola, water, soda, toothpaste, toilet paper and lots more. The idea is when it is on sale stock up so you don't have to buy it at full price. I am so addicted to this its not even semi funny. I am so proud of myself right now its awesome!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, you have me curious about this site. I NEED to find a way to cut our food bill, with 8 of us(two of which are pitless stomach teenagers), we spend a lot on food. I've tried coupon cutting, but from the Sunday paper, I only save $4 or $5 maybe, plus I spent $1.75 on the paper.

    Email me the details please! tcupps@gmail.com

    Thanks! and I'll be sure to give you the referral.

    ReplyDelete